Saturday, April 2, 2011

Holly's Heart for Missions

I recently  returned from my third trip to the beautiful country of Kenya in East Africa.  Each time I get off the plane back in the U.S., I feel like I've left a big part of my heart behind.  But upon reflection, I've found that isn't true.  My heart isn't being broken up, but rather multiplied, as God continues to deepen my faith, my love for Jesus and my understanding of His heart for the world, especially those living in the worst poverty in the world - the orphan and widow.
For the past six months, I  have had the honor of working for Hope's Promise Orphan Ministries, a Christian non-profit organization that seeks to address the orphan crisis.  Worldwide, there are over 145 million orphans.  That number is staggering, difficult to wrap our minds around.  But once you meet one of those children, the meaning of that number changes.  They each become a life, a story, a human being worthy of love, in need of justice.
My connection to Hope's Promise began in 2006, when I first traveled to Kenya and met and lived with Pastor Jepson and Edith Karau, a Kenyan couple ministering in the slum, planning to open a children's home.  Two years later, I saw that plan realized when Sanctuary of Hope Children's Home was opened and I returned to Kenya.  I met children that I had once known in the slum - dirty, malnourished and hopeless, now - bright, intelligent and transformed by Jesus.  I knew then that I wanted to be a part of what God was doing in the lives of orphans. 
Hope's Promise has children's homes in three different countries: Vietnam, Nepal, and Kenya.  The small, family style homes have no more than 11 children in each home.  They each have house parents who live with them and have taken them in as their own, loving them, teaching them and growing them in Christ.
Six months ago, I began an internship with Hope's Promise with the hope that it would become a permanent position.  My job description can be broken into three parts.  First, I direct the Child Sponsorship Program.  Like other sponsorship programs, I seek to recruit new child sponsors.  Sponsorship includes giving a monthly donation that will help cover the costs of raising the sponsored child.  Sponsors have many opportunities to write to their children, send gifts, and receive updates.  I have seen much fruit from the sponsorship program and believe it is a tangible and rewarding way for individuals in the U.S. to invest in the life of a child.  Secondly, I help to plan and lead short term missions trips, like the one I just went on to Kenya.  The purpose of these trips is to show people first hand how God is working through Hope's Promise Ministries and to give them opportunities to become involved. Last, I am involved with various fundraising and promotional projects for Hope's Promise, which involves representing Hope's Promise at various events, meeting with and recruiting new donors.  Basically, I get to talk to people about what I love!
I am transitioning into being a permanent part of the Hope's Promise staff.  In order to do this, I need to fund-raise to support my position, similar to other ministry positions.  I feel affirmation from God that I am where He wants me to be and I know that He will be abundantly faithful in providing my needs.
Will you consider partnering with Hope's Promise to support my position, either one time or on a monthly basis?  No amount is too small and is greatly appreciated.  God is working in incredible ways in the lives of orphans and I would be honored to continue being a part of it.  Will you join me in this cause?
Blessings, Holly Leonard
"Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
and untie the cords of the yoke,
       to set the oppressed free, and break every yoke?
  Is it not to share your food with the hungry
and provide the poor wanderer with shelter -
   when you see the naked, to clothe them,          
and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
   Then your light will break forth like the dawn, 
and your healing will quickly appear;
   Then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
   Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: "Here am I."  Isaiah 58: 6-9



HOW TO DONATE TO HOLLY at HOPE'S PROMISE:
There are TWO easy ways that you can donate to Holly.  You can choose to make a monthly pledge or make a one time donation.
ONLINE:  You can sign up to have your donation automatically withdrawn each month or give a one time donation by going to hopespromise.com  Next, click on "Donate" at the top left hand corner.  Next, click on the "Give Direct" logo.  This will take you to a page to fill out your credit card information.  Under the drop down menu titled "Program Area", scroll all the way to the bottom and select "Holly's Support".

BY MAIL: You can mail either one time or monthly donations to:
Hope's Promise
309 Jerry Street, Suite 202
Castle Rock,  CO  80104
Write "Holly's Support" in the memo line.
Make checks out to:  Hope's Promise
All donations are tax deductible and you will receive a receipt in the mail.  Thank you for your support!!



Other ways to support:

Quilt Raffle
For Holly and Hope’s Promise
Tickets: $2 each or 3 for $5 
    checks can be made out to and sent to:
Holly Leonard, 5335 Valentia Way, Apt. 357, Greenwood Village,  CO  80111



This beautiful flannel quilt is a queen plus (94 in X 94 in), has intricate stitchery and was crafted by Suzanne Sterrett.

No comments:

Post a Comment